Sunday, October 24, 2010

Malaysia: Blue-tailed Bee-eater 栗喉蜂虎 นกจาบคาหัวเขียว



I saw these flying birds flying, the long tail has grabbed
my attention and this was how I discovered their existence

It was just some pure luck brought me to the Blue-tailed Bee-eaters, widely recognized as one of the most beautiful bird in the world, the birds by some reason has migrated to the park behind my parent's house in Kepong.


Blue-tailed bee-eaters (Merops philippinus) are gregarious, meaning it lives in group and sociable. When I saw the first bird, I know there could be more and a quick search to the surrounding quickly proved that I was right. The birds are not only colorful, it also flies in an elegant way. Each time the bird perch, there is always something in its beak. It could be a bee, wasp or even hornet, underlines it common name "bee-eater" although dragonfly is also in its menu.


Blue-tailed Bee-eaters








The bird smacked the prey (probably a bee or
dragonfly) on the metal antenna to kill.






I have waiting for the bird to perch from the other side,
but it looks like this is the only side the bird would perch.


Another picture taking from the back


right: hi, how are you


left: don't disturb me

left: get away from me

right: we can live together peacefully

No comments:

Post a Comment